Safe in Zanzibar


Image result for zanzibar airportThis seemed like an eventuality that would be a long time coming but we landed in Zanzibar, Tanzania, around 3 PM on Thursday, July 28th. It has been a long three days, but God has really blessed to get us here. We kept running into two ladies going to work at an orphanage in Malawi who were on the same flights as Lynne and me. Praying they arrived safely sometime today.

When we checked in with the United Courtesy Desk yesterday, we found no courtesy. They basically said, “Not our fault. Suck it up buttercup!” However, the person on duty gave us one sound piece of advice that paid dividends when we checked in at the Ethiopian Air ticket counter. Our flight was scheduled to board at 10 am and depart at 11 am. So back up three hours from boarding and you would think getting there by 7 would be a good idea. The dude from United said he had seen the cattle call at the Ethiopian Air counter, and suggested we get there by 6 (our plan but that is the next paragraph). So we got to the counter about 6:20 AM and there was a line of bags already in the queue with people sitting on the side waiting for the check-in counter to open. It did at 7 am, and by 7:15 we were sitting in the USO sipping hot coffee and using their WiFi. We decided to go through the security screening at around 8:45. Going from the USO to security passes right by the Ethiopian Airlines queue for the check-in counter. No joke, the queue was 100 yards long, not counting the snakey part of the line within the nylon-tape barriers. United did one thing right!

As I wrote previously, USO hooked us up with a good hotel 5 miles from the airport, across the street from a Cracker Barrel. When we checked in I asked the amiable young lady if she could schedule us a taxi for 6 am the next morning. She replied in the affirmative, but I “could feel it in my bones” that there wouldn’t be a taxi. We arrived at the office and there was this dude a few years older than me lounging on a bench smoking a cigarette. I greeted him on my way through the door and received no reply of even a look. Sure enough, who comes through the door to work the counter but the old dude. I am usually very friendly to people who are in service jobs, but this guy raised my ire. I can still remember the conversation like it was yesterday, and it was.

Me: Good morning! We requested a taxi for 6 am this morning, and I was wondering if you could confirm it for me.

Dude: Confirm what for you? I wasn’t here last night and I don’t know a girl who works the desk.
(This is a family run Extended Stay, so it is probably his daughter or granddaughter.).

Me: She assured us a taxi would be arranged for us at 6 am.

Dude: Then it will be here. It isn’t 6 am yet.

Me: (Point to the clock on the wall, the digital clock on the counter and the watch on my wrist) Actually sir, It is a few minutes past 6.

Dude: Do you want me to give you a number for a taxi service?

Me: (I notice a printed copy of their customer satisfaction survey on the counter encased in plastic) I see on your customer satisfaction survey that you value customer service. It also says you will work to make right any problems a customer experiences.

Dude: So you want ME to call a taxi service? (Picks up the phone, makes a call). They will be here in
35 minutes.

Me: (My ire is on the rise. Apparently this member of the family does not understand the concept
of customer service.) My original request was for 6 am. It is now 6:10.

Dude: So you think I should call another taxi service?

Me: (Thousands of sarcastic answers dance in my head, but seeing my wife come through the
door Makes me think better of it) If you would please. I would call that an act of customer service.

Dude: (Makes a phone call). A taxi will be here in 8-9 minutes.

I follow Lynne out the door as she tells me how gracious my conversations are normally with front desk workers. I relate the conversation we had before she walked into the lobby and she understands.

The flight attendants and service on the flights with Ethiopian Air were excellent. They were friendly, helpful and conversational. The flights were a very pleasant experience. Our check-in at Dulles with Ethiopia was very smooth. I bet that smoothness had worn thin by the time we strolled by the Bataan death march to the counter.

So we are sitting in the Dolphin Lounge next door to the Paradise Lounge. The Dolphin Lounge is air-conditioned, and the Paradise Lounge is not (sounds more like the Paradise Lost Lounge). Got a couple of beef samosas in my stomach as we wait for Air Tanzania to open up to check in for our 30-minute flight to Dar-es-Salaam. Lynne says it feels surreal and is not feeling as if she is in Africa. That will probably be the case for the next 3-4 days as we stay in a resort for the Wycliffe Translator conference and teach VBS to MK’s (missionary kids).

UPDATE

Bags checked, through security and awaiting our 30-minute hop across the Zanzibar Channel. Youth VBS first thing int he morning. Later. Thanks for your prayers.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Zambia Travel Guide Information

June 19 Addendum